Friday, August 14, 2026

Screen-free math games, free VR field trips, and the BBC’s Bluey library

From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis

Subscribe to the 10 Minute Teacher Podcast and Cool Cat Teacher Talk anywhere you listen to podcasts.

Here’s a sample of my weekly email newsletter for you. In the newsletter, I work hard to bring out some tools and ideas to help you think about what you’re doing. Maybe it is just encouragement to do something you’ve done before or maybe it is an idea that is new to you. The greatest teachers I’ve ever known are always trying, thinking, and doing new things. Here’s to you. In my experience, those are the types of people who get the most out of the what I write and share.

The newsletter is also where I share the articles and conversations that are happening that I’m reading if you want to keep up with the ai and education reform info that people are talking about. If you haven’t subscribed to the newsletter you can do that at www.coolcatteacher.com/newsletter. Enjoy!

Hello Reader,

Happy back to school for some of you. Whatever time of year it is, I hope you’ll work hard to notice kids doing great things. My goal has always been to make the first contact home a positive one. I mentioned this on X and Teach Up Education said,

Agreed. I had a new student one year who just transferred in. And when I called home to tell his mom how great it was to have him in group, she paused and then, with a lot of relief in her voice said, “I’ve been waiting years to get this phone call.” And now I work with her two youngest, and anytime I need something, she’s right there to support.


Yes! That is awesome. I know it is busy and it is so so hard and exhausting to start the new school year, but working hard to notice positive things and call or email home is a great way to start the year.

In today’s newsletter, we’re going to talk about:

  • Screen-free math fluency games, research, and differentiation
  • Data Driven Leadership
  • Free virtual field trip ideas
  • How to use that VR headset in your classroom
  • Free Bluey resources for teaching younger children SEL
  • Formative assessment tips with 5 (you guessed it) no-screen formative assessment options
  • Award Winning Principals series
  • Hot stories in AI news and ethics that I’ve been reading and discussing with educators

OK I know that I do like technology but we also know that we need a mix of online and offline options to teach formatively so you’ll be getting more ideas. Some of these have been around for years!

Let’s get going!

Ideas for Elementary Math Classrooms

Elementary Math Fluency Ideas

Math Games that Build Fluency While Kids Have Fun with Dr. Gina Kling and Dr. Jennifer Bay-Williams | Episode 962

The authors of Math Fact Fluency: 60+ Games and Assessment Tools to Support Learning and Retention have lots of ideas for screen free games to learn math. The companion site built by the Kentucky Center for Mathematics has more than a dozen games, printable board games, student recording pages, editable Google slides explaining the games, and assessment tools.

video preview

Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Pandora | Spotify | YouTube | Audible

They also share their favorite games on the show notes including Salute (one player is the dealer and the other two each take a card and hold it on their forehead facing out without looking at it. The dealer looks at both cards and says the sum out loud. Each player looks at other players cards and figures out their own. They say kids love this one.) You can do this with the product instead of the sum as well. Lucky 13 and Go Fish For 10’s as well as other games are included in the show notes.

For those who want to discuss the common mistakes of teaching math facts (they say that the game “around the world” should be abandoned and timed math tests may not accomplish what you intend), here’s a discussion guide for this show. 👉 e962-discussion-guide.pdf

How to Differentiate Instruction in Elementary Math with Dr. Carol Ann Tomlinson

Since we’re talking math and you have a wide variety of ability levels, this wildly popular podcast from the vault includes ideas for elementary math teachers. If you’re an elementary math teacher who thinks it might be a struggle to reach your different learners, I’d take a listen.

Free BBC Resources for Your Classroom: Dinosaurs, Bluey, Planet Earth and News

Kimmie Fink shares printables, virtual field trip ideas, and fun archaeological dig resources for students at the BBC Learning Hub.

These resources are free and the videos are ad free from the BBC Learning hub. Create a free account in order to create playlists that you can send directly to Google Classroom. Episode 964 sponsored by BBC Learning Hub.

Data-Driven Leadership That Changes School Culture with Dr. Deborah Dennie | Episode 960

Deborah Dennie was an NASSP 2026 Middle Level National Principal of the year finalist and she is a principal in Maryland. She talks about how to be data driven and how she helps everyone get on board to improve attendance. She has lots of ideas. I’ve also included a sample prompt for teachers and one for principals and admin teams and tips for anonymizing data in the blog post.

video preview

Podcasts show notes are now full of curated free resources.

Additionally, some free tools for working with data like Attendance Works Data Tools, the Association of Washington School Principals AI Prompt Library, and how teachers can get Claude and ChatGPT for Free.

👉 Each day when I share a podcast, I’m curating resources, finding free tools and sharing prompts so that you have more than a podcast. So, episode 960 is at www.coolcatteacher.com/e960 so you can see everything. I’m just including the highlights here in my newsletter but I urge you to go deep!

VR and XR in Your Classroom | Episode 961

Virtual Reality. If your school is lucky enough to have VR headsets, then great. Meghan Freeman will help you get started. However, I’ve also curated a bunch of free “virtual field trips” that you can take on a chromebook or any device. I love doing scavenger hunts in this way!

Extended Reality. Here are some of the free extended reality (XR) field trips you can do on any device for every subject. I highly recommend “scavenger hunts” where you have a list of what students will find or observe:

video preview

Making teaching more efficient

Formative Assessment and Feedback That Move Learning Forward with Starr Sackstein

Starr has co-authored Actionable Assessment: A Step-by-Step Guide to Responsive Teaching and Student Growth with Michael McDowell. She talks about the kind of assessment that is truly formative.

video preview


This is a conversation you’ll want to have at your school so I developed a discussion guide. 963-Formative-Assessment-Discussion-Guide.pdf

Additionally, Four corners, The post-it round, think-pair-share, whiteboard responses, and reading records are five formative assessment strategies she explains and I capture in the show notes. If you want peer feedback strategies, go back and listen to this show, 5 Fantastic Peer Feedback Strategies for Your Classroom.

Leadership

With school starting back, our principals might need some ideas to connect better with students, teachers, and parents. We have a 2 part series airing on Cool Cat Talk right now to help. Part 1 just aired this Saturday with NASSP (now the National Principals Association – NPA). CEO Ronn Nozoe shares the results of the survey we did back in June with NASSP leaders and Cool Cat Teacher newsletter readers. (Thank you for participating).

Also, Muriel Summers who redesigned her school around the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and co-author of The Leader in Me with Stephen Covey had lots of ideas for promoting student leadership, even at the elementary level. I love her description of how it looked, felt, and sounded at her school as they changed the culture. (Or if you want the shorter version of Muriel’s interview, grab her Motivational Monday episode that aired yesterday on the 10 Minute Teacher.)

video preview

Subscribe to this show on iTunes | Spotify | Audible

Part 2, airing this week will have Sonia Ruiz and Amanda Jamerson two more award winning principals who will inspire and encourage you!

You can follow this episode at www.coolcatteacher.com/becoming

Free Resources for the 7 Habits

  • The Leader in Me Level 1 Annotated Teacher’s Edition (PDF) — This is a sampler. Open this one first if you teach the little ones. Habit 1 is a complete read-aloud lesson built around King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood and The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper, with before-you-read, while-you-read, and after-reading questions written out for you, plus cross-curricular extensions in language arts, social studies, science, and art.
  • The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (and teachers!) printable library — A K–5 teacher in Memphis put her whole set online: a classroom poster set, a 7 Habits clip chart, student certificates, character slips, bookmarks, coloring pages that pair with Sean Covey’s book, a Habit 2 goal-setting sheet, a Think Win-Win graphic organizer, graphic organizers scaled up for grades 3–5, and 7 Habits songs. Every one is a direct download.

I’ve also posted five leadership activities for exploring your culture on the blog post for Muriel’s episode. OK I was shocked at how Muriel involved her students in interviewing potential teachers, until I realized that when I was at Georgia Tech I was involved in selecting the Director of External Affairs and they listened to our feedback.

What’s coming up?

So, this week we have Alice Keeler talking about how to Vibe Code with Gemini, Nneka McGee talking about how to teach quantum physics to littles (not kidding), Todd Brekhus from Renaissance Learning talking about Renaissance Intelligence and Jerry Kolber from Who Smarted? Talking about the show and how to integrate podcasts into the classroom. Oh, and Monday, we’ll have Ashley Bendiksen talking about teaching boundaries to kids ages 5-9.

As always, I’ll share lots of resources for each of those episodes.

AI News and Ethics

I’ll admit that many of us are wrestling with what it means to write in the AI age. Now, on LinkedIn, people can mark your content “AI slop” (without any disclosure to you.) Substack has integrated with Pangram, an AI detector that is pretty good, however, false positives continue to be a debated issue. This summer, the winner of a short story prize was embroiled in controversy when it was said to have used AI, although the author denied it. Over 300 federal judges now require AI disclosure in their court cases.

A German court has ruled that Google is liable for false statements generated in AI overviews. But do our teachers and students even know that Google AI overviews are full of mistakes? I sure do. I would never cite them after I had to remove one source from a radio show that turned up in my fact check process and I was prepared to cite one at ISTE and in my fact checking, discovered it was totally hallucinated.

And in a recent study, 40% of Gen Z and millennial respondents said they wished they could remove generative AI from the world while at the same time “AI Guilt” is a thing as recent college graduates (who were never caught, mind you) feel an immense amount of regret that they didn’t do any of their college coursework themselves. One person on reddit going so far as to redo many of her senior year assignments on her own. (Missing out on the feedback process, I would point out.) When researchers submitted AI-written exams into a UK university grading system, 94% went undetected and SCORED ABOVE THE AVERAGE REAL STUDENT.

And Katy ISD in Houston banned generative AI chat tools for grades k-6 and gradually allows teacher-supervised, authorized use starting grade 7. They also explicitly require that 8-12th grades cite all AI assistance in their work. (Now, that last piece was a requirement in my classroom and should be a given, IMHO.)

So, the first way I teach AI is to share the four paragraphs I just wrote with my students – hyperlinks and all. I have them read them and we discuss what they think. This is the first step of AI ethics as we openly discuss the issues of the day. But how do I start teaching AI? I summarized it here…

How I teach about AI.

I updated this post in July 2025 and 2026 to reflect what I had done each year. If you want to know how I teach about AI with kids with resources and handouts. Here are a few:

  • Quick Draw with Google – they draw and it tries to “recognize” what they drew. The gold is in the data sets you can see when you’re done.
  • Deep Fake Videos including one of “Elvis” and an ad with Bruce Willis in it. Both deep fakes.
  • AI Vocabulary Set – I made and update this set of AI vocabulary words with levels.
  • Spy the AI – test your knowledge of the AI vocabulary. I vibe coded this game. Here’s how.

Encouragement for You

Educator, your job is so important! You are important. Your job is not easy. I’m here to help. Thanks for those of you who emailed me after some personal notes in my last email newsletter. I see you and I appreciate that you see me.

And isn’t that what teaching is about. Truly seeing our students and then helping them see the greatness in themselves and that they can persist and do hard things? Then, teaching them and working together.

I sat down with a student who is now a banker for me. We talked about my class. That was well over 15 years ago now. Like it was yesterday. He says they talk about the predictions and the technology change every time they get together as a class that we made in my classroom. Wow, that means so much to me.

And now, this means so much to me. This newsletter that took me three hours to write – by hand, I guess you would say, even though I typed it. Even though I just used a dash.

But I will say that I always use my AI fact checker tool I’ve built as a skill in Claude. It turned up some misspellings, asked me which court made the ruling above, and found at least one dead link. I think that’s useful. After I write, to have AI do a fact check for me based on how I’ve programmed it. That’s a win and I won’t apologize for being more accurate. And that is the thing, we need to focus on ways that AI can make us better humans not on ways that AI can be sub par copies of us.

We don’t get better by just getting by. Tomorrow is not better than today if today is worse than yesterday. OK I know, I know, my husband and I have been talking about circular Greek logic, so I’ll move on.

If you know me and have read my newsletter, you know what I sound like. And we have a human connection through these words. And I hope you’re finding lots of things you can do with your students and your team. And I hope you’re finding other educators who inspire you. You are amazing. You deserve lots of people who will support you with great handmade content. I happen to think human-crafted will always have a premium even as the world is trying to sort things out.

You don’t get something for nothing. You always reap what you sow, later than you sow, and more than you sow. If you plant watermelons, you don’t harvest corn. If you plant honesty, you will reap the benefits.

As always, if you have something to say, just hit reply. I read every message. Sometimes it takes a minute because of the incredibly robust spam filters I use but I will reply.

As always, I remain joyfully in your service!

See you later, educator.

Vicki

Cool Cat Teacher - Vicki Davis

Web: coolcatteacher.com
★ Where to Find Me 10 Minute Teacher Podcast | Cool Cat Teacher Talk Show | Cool Cat Teacher Blog

▷ FM Radio
WDJY FM 99.1 Atlanta (Wed 4PM • Sat & Sun Noon–1PM) • WKCR 89.9 FM, New York (Columbia) • WNYE 91.5 FM, New York • WFYI 90.1 FM, Indianapolis (NPR) • WFSU 88.9 FM, Tallahassee (NPR) • KERA, Dallas (NPR) • Denver 92.9 FM / 89.3 HD3 • Texas Public Radio, San Antonio (NPR) • WZQR, Florida • KPFA 94.1 FM, Berkeley
July 2026 (UK): BBC Radio Ulster, Northern Ireland • LBC, London • XPress Radio, Cardiff University, Wales

▷ Public Access TV
LMC Media, Mamaroneck NY (Roku & Fire TV) • San Francisco • Norfolk/Fairfax • New Mexico (Mon 9PM) • New Hampshire • Washington, DC • New Jersey • Newington, CT • BronxNet • TV18 Detroit • Urbana Public TV
Added June 2026: Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN), New York

Built with Kit

The post Screen-free math games, free VR field trips, and the BBC’s Bluey library appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!

If you're seeing this on another site, they are "scraping" my feed and taking my content to present it to you so be aware of this.


from Cool Cat Teacher Blog
https://www.coolcatteacher.com/screen-free-math-games-free-vr-field-trips-and-the-bbcs-bluey-library/

No comments:

Post a Comment